CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 23, 2013

What Can You Do With Transparency Film?

     I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur, but my supply closet still has lots of transparency film.  Now that we're making the switch to document cameras as opposed to overhead projectors, we don't need that stuff anymore... or do we???  This week I have been contemplating how I could use this resource.  It's cheap and a little out of the ordinary.  And you know how kids get excited about something a little out of the ordinary!
     One way to use transparency film is to reduce the amount of paper you use.  Although I love me a good worksheet (read between the lines: addicted to Teachers Pay Teachers and Teacher's Notebook), I find copying off all those worksheet to be a waste of paper and my time.  So if you are using a program where the students do the same thing each day (such as Decimal of the Day shown here), make only one blank copy for each child.  Staple the film on one side of a file folder and slip the worksheet inside.  Students can then use a dry erase marker and a piece of felt as an eraser.  I was worried initially that the markers would not last, but most of my students have used the same marker since we started this in December.  For Decimal of the Day, I write this on the board so the students can complete the worksheet:
7.308
+  0.04
-  6.508
X  .35
/    9
_____ (this is the place to put the comparing symbol) 7.038 
     Another way to use transparency film is as part of a game or activity.  This week we have been rounding.  Rounding is very tricky for students because they have to know which place they need to start and what place they have to look at.  Using transparency film, I created a fun rounding game I call "Slap! Trap!".  To play the game, each student will need:  a dry erase board, a dry erase marker, and a copy of the Slap! Trap! transparency (see pictures below).
     Pass out the supplies and give your students a few minutes to use the transparency to practice making numbers that will fit inside.  One digit should to in each box.  After a few minutes of experimentation, write a number on the board, such as:
     You can use any size numbers that you are working on.  They can even be bigger than the two digit number shown in the example.  In fact, the transparency works even better with numbers with many digits.  Now yell, "Round to the nearest (place).  (Place) SLAP!" The students yell back, "(Place) SLAP!" and slap transparency down so the box on the left with the question marks is surrounding the digit in the place you said.  Check to see that everyone has placed their transparency correctly.  For this example, I would have said, "Round to the nearest whole number!  Whole number SLAP!"
     Next I say (in a robot voice), "Engage eyeballs!"  and the kids repeat with a shzzzzz sound after, and move their right index finger until they are pointing at the next place to the right.  Then I say, "Five or more go up one floor." The students repeat and add, "Going up!" or "Stays the same!" depending on what they are supposed to do.
     Finally I yell, "Remove trapper!"  and the kids repeat.  If they need to change the target place, they do that now and turn everything else into a zero.
     I will be uploading a video to my You Tube mrsc4jones shortly that shows this lesson in action.  In the meantime, can you think of another use for transparency film?  Please share in the comments below.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't used an overhead projector for several years, but I have always thought the film was handy. Thanks for another idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband just brought home 2 packages of transparency film from work. Lol (about 400 sheets) Soo I found your blog on pinterest, and this is GREAT idea for kids! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete