CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Common Core Pacing Guide

This summer I have embarked on a number of curriculum projects, mostly around the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).  For Math I wanted to increase the amount of differentiation and technology as well as firmly ground my teaching in the Common Core.  The first thing I noticed when I counted up the standards was that there was the same number of standards as full weeks in the school year.  That means that my students will have to master one standard a week!  At first that thought was quite daunting.  My next thought was this is an opportunity to have a very organized curriculum based on a single standard each week.  This is how I decided to organize and pace each week: 
   At the top of each week/page is the unit title, which part of the unit. vocabulary, skills, and the Common Core standard.
Monday will be a whole class, non-differentiated lesson straight from my Math program (Everyday Math).  At the end of the Math lesson, I will give a short assessment on the standard of the week.  For this part of the weekly plan I didn't reinvent the wheel.  Teachers Pay Teachers has several short, one page per standard bundles that are specific to my grade level. I will use these to pre-test my students and put them in differentiated groups for the next three days of the week.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays are differentiated instruction days.  Students will participate in rotational groups I call "I Love Math" groups.  For more information on I Love Math Groups, listen to this podcast or watch this video (the first of 5 parts) on Youtube.  Technology will help make differentiation easier.  I will use the Ten Marks website on Tuesdays and the Manga High website on Thursday.  Both websites allow me to assign lessons/activities and also have fun games and activities for students who finish early.  Scoot Pad is a similar website (click the names for links).
  Friday we are back to another whole class lesson from Everyday Math.  One Friday I will give the post-test (a different "one-pager" from TpT) and this will be graded. 
So that's my curriculum pacing guide for next year.  I haven't offered this as a product on TpT because it is personal to my situation- a labor of love, if you will.  However, if you would like a free digital copy to tweak for you own use, email me at cjones@sau61.org.

Additional EDM/CCSS Alignment Resources:
First, the "official" CCSS alignment from EDM, then the more realistic version from New York. 


No comments:

Post a Comment