CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Adventures in Lucy Calkins' Units of Study

This summer my major purchase for personal professional development was Lucy Calkins' Units of Study in Writing.  I spent a delightful summer with Lucy.  Reading her book was like having a conversation with a great mentor teacher.  Many people comment that her ten-plus page lesson plans are a nightmare to get through.  I would agree with that, but just because the lesson plans are this long doesn't mean you have to do all of it.  I would much rather have much more than I need than have to make up my own stuff.  Most of my lessons to my students end up being "distilled essence of Lucy" rather than a verbatim recitation of her lessons. 
Today's lesson was definitely one of those essence ones.  The lesson was about making characters come alive by describing both their internal and external traits.  To liven things up a bit, I introduced my students to one of my favorite music videos on You Tube:  Julian Smith's Reading a Book.  In it, the singer acts all tough and mean when people interrupt him while reading.  His tough exterior is totally at odds with his zest for reading.   The kids got the juxtaposition between internal and external traits immediately. It was a fun introduction to the lesson and I saw several students who tried the technique, including one of my most reluctant writers.

One of the biggest frustrations I have teaching Writing is that students seem to so very rarely take the advice we given them in our lessons.  It's absolutely unheard of in a Math class for students not to follow the algorithm the teacher provides, yet in Writing "doing your own thing" is rampant.  Today I tried to combat that by, at the end of Writing, having each child get out a highlighter.  They traded daybooks with a partner and highlighted evidence of today's lesson on character traits (if they could find it).  Overall the class was very honest in their highlighting and this gave me a quick way to judge what students could still use some help in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment