CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Common Core is Coming... and I'm Ready!




     Never fear, the Common Core is here!  The internet is fairly exploding with resources for the Common Core State Standards or CCSS.  Here are a few of my favorite resources:
Number One:  A FREEBIE!   
     If you are required to teach from a basal, then you need to check out the Basal Alignment Project on Edmodo.  The group is free to join.  This dedicated group from New York has taken most of the basal series in grades 3-5 and rewritten the lessons to alignment them with the goals of the Common Core.  There are also videos to watch about the shift in expectations, and scaffolded writing assignments that go with the basal text.  The best part is that it's free, but joining the group also gives you a chance to expand your personal learning network to include other like-minded teachers.  There is also an Anthology Alignment Project (AAP) for grades 6-10 on Edmodo.  The "secret" password to join is:  pkx4sp
Number Two:  Teacher-created materials   
     Teachers are already creating materials for the Common Core.  Teacher's Pay Teachers is a great site to get some of the best.  My favorites are one page sheets that cover a single standard (typically in Math).  I have purchased several of these and they are in a binder waiting to be used for review, homework, centers, or to combine several and make a CCSS-alinged unit assessment.  Easy peasy!  Some of my favorites are:
Number Three: This summers BIG purchase (but SOOO worth it)!
     For months I have been debating with myself about making this purchase.  I totally blew the budget out of the water.  Because of this I will (reluctantly) have to have my students buy their own school supplies this year.  I hate to do this because of the burden it places on many families in my school that can't afford to do that.  But for a long time I have felt like my Writing instruction wasn't up to snuff.  In fact, Writing is usually the last subject I plan... because I don't look forward to teaching it.  With the changeover to the Common Core, I felt I had an opportunity to really revive my Writing program.  After a year of research, which included polling some of my virtual "teacher heroes", I decided to purchase Lucy Calkins' Units of Study.  Although expensive (I purchased through the publisher which was the cheapest option) the kit that I got was impressive for the price.  There is a book about how to set up a writing workshop, a book about troubleshooting common problems, a book of writing samples from various grade levels, a cd of forms and rubrics, and four entire units.  Everything is done for you, down to exactly what to say during your mini-lessons. I can't tell you how excited I am to try this next year.  I'm thrilled that everything is all planned out for me.

What are YOUR major finds and purchases to teach the Common Core?  Have you created anything you want to share? Leave me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment