CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 31, 2013

First Week of School Over!

     I just finished my first week (three days) of school.  I can tell this year will be one of professional growth already. 
     I noticed a big difference in the students as I moved down to fourth grade from fifth grade.  The students organizational abilities need a lot of development. They don't clean off their desktops at the end of each academic period.  They don't push in their chairs when they leave their seat.  They have never used Agendas before and they write very slowly. 
     I have a special education aide in my room most of the day whom I have never worked with before.  This means I have one more person that I have to introduce to my classroom routines.  I also have a high percentage of special needs students in my room, including one student with a behavior disorder.  This student started having difficulties the first day of school.  By day 2 I had to have him take an extended time-out in our behavior room.  I am already networking with our resource people for behavior.  Day #3 was better, but I had to stay glued to his side.  I know other students are suffering because they can't work independently for more than five minutes yet and don't know classroom routines.  I will definitely learn some patience this year!
     When I reflect on this first week, I am also thinking about the tremendous growth I experienced as a looping teacher for the past two years.  Although I do not know whether my new principal will allow looping next year, I do know that these students will improve by leaps and bounds this year.  Whether I get to stay with them for one year or two, I know they will make progress like my students do every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment